Happy Bday Kerry!!
A few weeks ago it was our Marketing Assistant, Kerry Halfon’s birthday. Needless to say sweet treats arrived consisting of homemade carrot cake and chocolate cake.
Now Kerry’s mom is notorious around the office for her baked goods, and is the source of our now favourite cheesecake recipe. So needless to say there was an abundance of excitement when the cakes arrived. But to say these cakes were out of this world would be a complete understatement! Not being a huge cake fan, I can honestly say this carrot cake was possibly the best thing I have tasted in my life and I am now more convinced than ever that her mom should set up shop and bake cakes for a living!
As a true foodie, sharing is caring, so here is Kerry’s mom’s recipe that she has been using for ages and is a MUST-try for any cake fan.
You can just see Mpho's excitment!
Gillian’s Carrot Cake Recipe
o 300g flour
o 10ml baking powder
o 7ml bicarbonate of soda
o 15ml ground cinnamon
o 5ml salt
o 300g sugar
o 375ml oil
o 500ml grated carrots
o 250g crushed tinned pineapple, drained
o 50g chopped pecans
o 75g sultanas
o 4 eggs
o 125g butter
o 500g icing sugar
o 250g cream cheeses
o vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Butter and flour a Bundt pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl beat sugar, oil and eggs until well blended.
- Add carrots, pineapple, nuts and sultanas and mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating just enough to combine well (mixture will be thin).
- Pour into pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn out and cool.
- Beat together butter, icing sugar and vanilla (will be crumbly).
- Stir in cream cheese by hand.
- Mix lightly but do not mix too much as it can become runny (one or two quick beats helps).
- Ice top and sides of the cake and decorate.